Jeff, Kaelen, and I had a mini-vacation to the Twin Cities October 1-4. Kamryn and Kason stayed with Gma & Gpa Tjebkes. Kaelen loved having all the attention for a few days. We enjoyed visting Nephew/Cousin Zane who is a freshman at the University of Minnesota. Kaelen liked going to his dorm room. We attended the University of Minnesota's Homecoming Parade so we could watch Zane in the marching band. It was an excellent parade and Kaelen got tons of loot. Her favorite was a Minnesota tattoo that we had to apply as soon as we got back to the hotel. Rides at the Mall of America were also a hit. On Friday, when we got there, Kaelen told us she did not want to go on any rides and by Sunday she was going on the Swings, Pepsi Rollercoaster (twice) and Log Chute. She is a dare devil to say the least. Kaelen also got to eat at her favorite restaurant- Rainforest Cafe, go to Como Park Zoo in St. Paul, and, of course, spend a lot of time swimming at the hotel. We stayed at a nice Hilton in Bloomington and I think she was the only child in the entire hotel (more business focused) so we had the pool to ourselves the whole time.
The highlight (for me any ways) was running the Twin Cities Marathon. I trained like crazy for it so it was awesome for me to see all my training- early mornings, hills, distance, speed work, pay off with my new marathon PR of 3:43:59!! I took almost 12 minutes off my previous PR from the Rock-n-Roll Arizona Marathon last January. Twin Cities is always voted the best urban marathon and now I understand why. The course was very scenic (and hilly! the last six miles)- lakes, beautiful homes, trees changing into their spectacular fall colors and the Mississippi River. And I can't forget the spectators that lined the streets the whole way cheering enthusiastically. These people knew what they were doing. My running partner from Muscatine ,Terry, also ran the marathon. We ran the first 20 miles together. He did an awesome job getting me to mile 20 in good condition. Thanks Terry! And the biggest surprise to me was that with my time I qualified for the Boston Marathon! I was so pumped (and still am). So am headed to Boston next April for more marathon adventure.
Monday on our way home we met Gma Halstead for lunch at Famous Dave's in Cedar Falls. Then it was back to Muscatine to see Kamryn & Kason. Missed them big-time! We loved the Twin Cities and can't wait to go back Summer 2011 and show Kamryn & Kason the sites.
The highlight (for me any ways) was running the Twin Cities Marathon. I trained like crazy for it so it was awesome for me to see all my training- early mornings, hills, distance, speed work, pay off with my new marathon PR of 3:43:59!! I took almost 12 minutes off my previous PR from the Rock-n-Roll Arizona Marathon last January. Twin Cities is always voted the best urban marathon and now I understand why. The course was very scenic (and hilly! the last six miles)- lakes, beautiful homes, trees changing into their spectacular fall colors and the Mississippi River. And I can't forget the spectators that lined the streets the whole way cheering enthusiastically. These people knew what they were doing. My running partner from Muscatine ,Terry, also ran the marathon. We ran the first 20 miles together. He did an awesome job getting me to mile 20 in good condition. Thanks Terry! And the biggest surprise to me was that with my time I qualified for the Boston Marathon! I was so pumped (and still am). So am headed to Boston next April for more marathon adventure.
Monday on our way home we met Gma Halstead for lunch at Famous Dave's in Cedar Falls. Then it was back to Muscatine to see Kamryn & Kason. Missed them big-time! We loved the Twin Cities and can't wait to go back Summer 2011 and show Kamryn & Kason the sites.

Mall of America

The Swiper Car- Kaelen's favorite




















No comments:
Post a Comment